Saturday, July 01, 2006


A Face in the Crowd (1957). prior to my seeing this film, any opinion i had of andy griffith had long since been filed away, likely somewhere between gilligan's island and gomer pyle. stupid, ignorant me. A Face in the Crowd has been called a hidden masterpiece of the latter 20th century, and i would agree. without doubt it is one of the most socially relevant films of it's latter half-century, and so ingeniously current in terms of cinematic style and subject matter that it could have been made in the 1997 instead of 1957.

Griffith was born for this role, and it for him (one part Andy of Mayberry, two parts Charlie Manson), and so masterfully embodies it that the faint resemblance to any characters in his later career could only have been derived by their having suffered a lobotomy or chemical castration.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

One of my all-time favorite films! Glad to see it listed here.

I rarely find anyone who has seen this. When I try to describe the movie to friends, I know that I am not doing it justice. One of the problems is that people have a hard time getting past the concept of Andy Griffith as anyone but good guy Sheriff Andy Taylor.

Amazing film.

3:12 PM  
Blogger geff said...

agreed - thanx so much! -g

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home